So last night we had our second upholstery class. It started out with some more staple pulling and cleaning up the frame. On Chris's piece none of the gluing he did last week held, so he basically remade his frame with three inch screws. After I got all the final staples pulled, I had to re-glue because my glue didn't hold either, and for a wiggly chair it was mighty hard to get apart. After the gluing was done, I got to move onto attaching the webbing. The I attached the burlap.
After the burlap I was at a bit of a standstill because the buttons I needed to do the tufting were not at the class, but this was actually a blessing. I moved onto a bit of refinishing, I sanded worked out some problem areas with steel wool. I brought my chair home and have the job of re-staining it this week, so next week I don't have to stain and then watch it dry!
After Chris put about three hundred screws in his frame, he also moved on to the webbing.
then he placed and attached his 18 seat springs!
Next week he has the job of tying all those springs, and I will hopefully move on to tufting which means fabric!!!!
In the spirit of Friday night date night we followed class up with cocktails, appetizers and desserts at my favorite restaurant Il Casale!
I guess growing up in older homes in New England has given me a true appreciation for molding. the right window casing, door casing, baseboard, etc... really makes a room feel comfortable to me. I am currently blessed to live in a home that was built in 1937 and has beautiful windows and casings, so why would I cover them up with fussy window treatments? In my quest for window treatments that do not overpower the window, still let in a lot of light, and draw attention to a beautiful part of the room I started making my own roman shades. My mother taught me years ago how to make them, but I have adapted hers a bit to create what I love. I make them so that when they are completely up they still cover the upper quarter of the window and so that all the folds are visible.
This is in M's room. The bottom edge is made of the side of her bed skirt that faces the wall. the bed skirt is from Serena & Lily. I lined these roman shades with lining/interlining, for warmth, and blackout fabric, to deter early risers.
This is in T's room and i actually made the two roman shades for his current room out of one roman shade from his room in our previous apartment. I am planning to use the other shades fabric to upholster his bed. These are not lined as much as M's so I have a blackout roller shade hanging behind them.
This is one of two that I made for the office, it is made of white linen to which I stitched a blue duck cloth band.
I am currently working on roman shades for the master bathroom and the kid's bathroom, so I will post a tutorial soon.
A few weeks ago I posted the new kitchen chairs that I found on Craigslist, 4 chairs for $40. I finally had enough days above freezing to finish spray lacquering them, the fabric finally arrived and I cut new plywood seats which I topped with 1" foam.
I live outside of Boston with my husband, two children, and dog. For the past 8 years I have been working with clients to help them make their home dreams a reality. From helping to build homes from the ground up to helping round out already finished spaces, I listen to my clinets and let their vision guide our process. I have always been a creative person planning spaces and working to make them function better. After completing the Residential Interiors program at Boston Architectural College I learned how to combine my love for funcion and flow with my eye for color, scale, and balance. As a graduate of New York University's Stern School of Business, I understand project planning and budget management. My experience working with clients, contractors, and architects helps to coordinate and streamline the home building and renovation process, helping my clients to have the home they dream of with less of the stress that comes with building and decision making.